Thursday, April 10, 2014

Crazy Days

So it's that time of the year again. The city is filling up with yellow shopping bags and people are arriving to work late or leaving for lunch early and everyone seems to be going a bit crazy. It's the semiannual Hullut Päivät (Crazy Days) at Stockmann. For those of you not living in Finland I'll just say it's a bit like as if Black Friday would happen twice a year for four consecutive days only at Nordstrom, but with deals that aren't as great. For the early birds there really are some sweet deals to be made, especially in cosmetics and food. I used to be as crazy about these supersales as anyone but have since learned to controll my inner shoppaholic and limit myself to only the things I would've needed to buy anyway.

This year, I must say, there weren't nearly as many covetable items for me as there have been in the past. I'm not sure if it's me growing up or the recession hitting the store's collection as well. Probably both. I did venture inside the mayhem yesterday and made a couple of great findings, which I'll tell you about in a bit.

The key to a successfull shopping spree at a crazed event like this is, I think, preparation. Well prapared is half finished, right? That is why I started my morning over breakfast with one of my dearest friends at Kiila. If you're looking for an affordable yet nice place to have breakfast during the week, I highly reccomend you try this place. I'm calling freshly baked bred with all the toppings, oat meal, yougurts and berries, to die for mini croissants and even do-it-yourself waffels for only 7,50,- a real bargan in this over priced city. Plus the enviroment really is nice and bright in the morning sun.

To go shopping at Hullut Päivät not only do you need to start your day off with a power breakfast and of course check the catalog in advance to know just what you're looking for, it's also really important to think about what you're going to be wearing. If you don't, you might end up like my friend, pushing through the crowds of people fighting over those 279,- Micheal Kors trench coats, wearing a down jacket and a heavy sweater and just feeling miserable and like you're suffocating. 

First and foremost it's important that you're wearing comfortable, easy to dress clothes, so that fitting isn't such a pain in the butt. For yesterday's crazyness, I put on jeans, an easy top and a knitted blazer. Had I been shopping for a new pair of pants, I would've opted for a skirt, but since I still had my walker cast boot on, jeans worked great.
I also think it's important to wear clothes that you really like, and that are the truest to your style. My general style is pretty classic and feminine and I remember this one time when I was wearing a much edgier outfit than usually while shopping and ended up taking most of the suff I bought back because they just weren't really me afterall. Top that comfortable yet chic outfit off with natural make up and a hairdo that won't get too frizzy when you're trying on those beautiful sweaters, and you're good to go.

After rummaging through dozens of clothesracks and piles of shoes I finally found the pieces I was looking for and left the store really happy but tired. One of my favorite thing about Hullut Päivät is that they sell pretty orchids for a fraction of the normal prize and this is always something I look forward the most. This year I found two excuisite white phaleonopsis. I also found new, cute and extremely comfortable running shoes and some gym wear. My favorite bargain in addition to the orchids was a new city bike (and a stylish helmet to go with it, of cource) which should be delivered to me in a couple of days. I'm very excited about it since Helsinki really is a biker's city. 

Beautiful orchids

After a very exhausting day spent shopping I was about ready for bed, but luckily had still some energy left as I had tickets for this years Lääkiksen Speksi (the annual musical by my fellow med students). And boy was it greater than ever this year! I used to be a part of the stage make up team for years and it was very exciting to watch the story unravel as an outsider. We have some very artistically talented doctors to be, let me tell you. But more on that on another day.

Good luck to all of you who are still trying to get your hands on some bargains at the Hullut Päivät this weekend, son't forget to prapare well!

xx

H

No comments:

Post a Comment