Thursday, April 10, 2014

Up in the Air

Picture from Vogue
Since I'm packing up my bags and heading to Barcelona in the morning (I have to be at the airport at 4.45am, are you kidding me?) I thought it'd be fun to share some of my best advice for flying with you all.

As I mentioned, I love traveling. I need it to survive the cold and dark months of winter. Ever since I was a little girl my parents have taken me on trips all over the world. The first time I traveled abroad I guess I was three months old. I can't say I remember anything about that trip, but I've been told I behaved very well. I'm very lucky, I know, to have such amazing parents who have taught me the value of traveling from such a young age. Growing up the wanderlust hasn't subsided one bit, but grown if anything.

Last year I traveled to 3 continents, 7 countries and 9 cities and I counted that it took me at least 20 flights total to reach my destinations and get back home. So I guess it's safe to say I know a thing or two about flying and traveling with luggage. Here are ten tips to make your next flight a little more enjoyable.


1. The first rule of traveling is comfort 


This is especially true if you're flying overseas. You really don't want to sit eight hours straight on a plain thinking that your jeans are feeling too tight or that your dress is getting all wrinkled and keeps rising up. As a true fashionista I feel that part of feeling comfortable is also wearing something that makes me feel beautiful. So no sweat pants and t-shirts, please. Comfort and style, can they really match? Yes. Nowadays even easier than ever. My go-to flight look consists of a pair of leggings and a long comfortable sweater plus some ballerinas. Or if flying to someplace warm, as I am tommorow, a pair of opaque tights and a summer dress with a comfortable cardigan will do the trick.


Heading to Rome last spring with my beautiful mom, wearing my favorite travel dress from New Look and having all of my things in my beloved Neverfull.



2. Bring a scarf


It always gets too cold on the plane. Always. So no matter where you're travelling to - be it a beach in Greece in the middle of July where it's bound to be 40 C once you hit the ground - take a nice, soft, warm scarf on the plane with you. Take my word for it, you'll be glad you did. For extra warmth, I always bring ollen socks with me as well.


3. Travel as light as you can 


I'm very bad at this but keep trying to improve. Traveling with a 10kg carry on is a bitch. Packing only what's really necessary also leaves room in your luggage for souvenirs and those beautiful shoes you just have to have. There are some great packing tips to be found here and here. Do make sure you have all the essentials with you though!
My travel essentials

4. Don't be an idiot 


Seriously, few things annoy me more than stupid (sadly, often Finnish) passengers who make a huge number about themselves. I get that this might be your first ever time on a plane and you're all excited and possibly a bit scared, but that's no excuse to ruin everyone else's trip by your loud and innappropriate remarks about the stewardess behind or that poshy looking foreigner (who by the way, might understand your every word). 


5. Invest in a good carry on 


Weather it be a roller that fits the international sizing limits or a big quality leather bag, having a carry on bag that you can fit all your things in without a fear of it breaking, is just invaluable if you travel a lot. It may also help you save money since most of the bargain airlines charge big bucks for check in bags. I have my trusted Louis Vuitton Neverfull which has never failed me and can easily hold a weekends worth of stuff (and as I said, I'm not a very light packer). I found a great little Densley roller last summer from San Francisco that is only about a kilo and a half when empty so no extra weight from the bag itself is a big plus.


6. Be on time


Make sure to have extra time getting to the airport and through securityYou never know what can go wrong and trust me, running from the airport train to the gates when your plane is about to leave in 5 minutes is not a whole lot of fun. If you can, check in online beforehand so if you do end up running a bit late, you don't need to wait in line for that. Most airports now have all sorts of amazing features in the departure halls as well, so being on time also gives you the chance to explore and do some last minute shopping of course. I'd advice to reserve extra time if you are to visit some of these airports which have been chosen as the best in the world. 


7. Remember to hydrate 


Hydrate. And not with alcohol. I cannot stress this enough. Remember the movie Bridesmaids? Yeah, we don't want that happening. Drinking enough water before and during a flight has many benefits and also helps with your complexion. You can save some money by bringin an empty water bottle with you through security, since most airports have fountains with clean drinking water so you can fill up once you're inside and avoid those heavy prices they charge for water at the kiosks.


8. Bide your time 


I can never understand why some people spring up and rush to the line at the first announcement of boarding. You already have your seat reserved and are going to be able to sit in it's tiny slot for a good while, so why not strech your legs and relax for a bit longer? I usually get in line when I see that nearly all people have gone in. Still, it's polite to be at the gate on time so the whole plane full of people doesn't have to wait for you.


9. Freshen up


Take a little bit of cosmetics with you so you can freshen up on the plain of after you've landed. I usually bring some sorts of facial wipes, a tester sized facial cream, compact powder, blush and lipgloss. Even if the flight is only a short one, I feel the high airconditioning makes my face feel very dried up. I feel the washing of my face and reapplying my makeup right after landing is very revigorating and helps me start my trip on a good note.


10. Give back


If you're traveling to a place where you'll need to change currency, you can light up some strangers day by leaving the leftover cash as a tip at the airport. I always like to do these types of small good deeds and this is one great option. Also a lot of the airlines now collect the extra change during flights for charity like the unicef, so if you don't like giving money to strangers than at least you can use up your foreign cash to help a good cause.

So there you have some very well tested and well deemed advice for smooth travels. Do you have any tips you'd like to add to this list?

I'm heading to the warmth and sunshine of beautiful Barca for the weekend and will be sure to be back to tell you all about it once I return! Have a great weekend everyone!

xx

H

No comments:

Post a Comment